Location: Framingham, MA
Position: Data Scientist
The Data Scientist is responsible for applying advanced analytical methods to improve decision-making at Staples. Using machine learning, statistical analysis, and mathematical optimization, the individual plays a key role in supporting the development of state-of-the-art solutions to complex decision-making problems. These problems will come from all parts of Staples and will include challenges like:
- Developing SKU demand prediction and item sourcing strategies that drive growth and profitability while minimizing Staplesâ investment in inventory and achieving or exceeding service-level targets.
- Building and deploying algorithms that reduce order fulfilment costs across warehouse and transportation network through robotic automation, process control, and capacity optimization.
- Developing and implementing profitability models to ensure the right products are being offered to customers, and stocked in the right locations with right replenishment policies.
- Work closely with key business partners to understand business and operations-related problems, and then apply analytical methods to solve them.
- Communicate results to executive leadership.
- Analyze diverse sources of data, and implement innovative algorithms to realize actionable results.
- 0-3 years industry experience plus PhD or 3-5 years industry experience plus MS in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, or related field
- Hands-on experience with advanced machine learning, data mining, statistical inference, mathematical modeling, and mathematical optimization techniques and technologies
- Hands-on experience with querying databases in order to drive required analysis independently and swiftly
- Excellent ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Keen attention to detail, and ability to dive deep
- Experience developing large scale systems using parallel and distributed computing
- Experience working with development toolsets such as Spark, Hadoop, Python, C++, Java, R, H2O, Shiny, Docker, MYSQL, Teradata, NOSQL, etc.
- Hands-on experience with object oriented design, service oriented architecture, open source technologies, and Linux operating system
- Experience using advanced supervised and unsupervised learning techniques, natural language processing, robotics, markov decision process, deterministic and non-deterministic mathematical programming, constraint satisfaction, and control theory
- Experience with various areas of the supply chain such as customer order, inventory, warehouse, and transportation management
- The ability to think big, manage ambiguity to move quickly, and deliver results in an entrepreneurial environment
- Fearless but thoughtful in their pursuit of results
- Flexible and resourceful, and easily adaptable to changes in environment and prioritization
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.